Sell with Confidence
Read More
Property Management

FAQ for Tenants

Where is my 2 weeks rent in advance?

At the start of your tenancy, you are required to pay your first 2 weeks rent plus your bond. A common mistake tenants make is to think that this will put them 2 weeks in advance. Unless you start paying your rent again on the same day you move in, each day after you move in and don’t pay takes away from those first 2 weeks. For example, if you move in on a Monday and don’t make another payment until Thursday, you are now only paid 11 days in advance, instead of a full 2 weeks. If you don’t pay your rent until 2 weeks after you move in, which is not recommended, you have used up all of the rent you have in advance.

When will I get my bond back?

Our office works as quickly as possible to return your bond to you. Once your keys are returned, your property manager will complete your vacating inspection within 3 business days (in more cases than not, completed the next day after keys are returned). After this inspection, should everything be in order and left in the condition it was given to you (apart from fair wear and tear), all your rent paid up to date and any outstanding bills (water, pool chemicals, electricity etc) taken care of, we can complete your bond refund. If you are receiving a full bond refund, all we need are your bank details and we can organise with the RTA for it to be transferred through to your account. If there are deductions from your bond, all bond holders will be required to sign a form first.

How do I report maintenance?

If the matter is urgent (see your tenancy agreement for examples of urgent items) you can call the office on 07 5429 8355 to report it right away. This needs to be followed up in writing afterwards. If the matter is not an urgent item (again, please see your tenancy agreement for examples) the issue must be reported in writing. You can do this via email, text or by popping into the office to complete a maintenance request form.

Can I have someone move in with me?

In order to make any changes to the leaseholders or approved occupants at your property, you must seek owner approval first. The new person moving in must complete a tenancy application and be approved prior to moving in. You can receive a Notice to Remedy Breach – Form 11 if there are unapproved occupants living at the property. This will only affect your tenancy history, not theirs, so it is very important to follow the required steps.

How do I break my lease?

We understand, unforeseen circumstances can sometimes mean you need to vacate before your lease ends. There is some paperwork to complete and some fees and charges you are responsible for. Once the paperwork is signed, we will commence our advertising campaign with a view to re-let the property as quickly as possible. You are also required to continue to maintain the property in accordance with the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 and General Tenancy Agreement – Form 18a until your lease ends or until another tenant moves in. Rent also remains payable on time throughout this period.

How do I apply for a new pet?

Applying for a pet can be done so in writing to your property manager. You can send an email, a text or complete a pet application form by popping into the office. The application will be put forward to the owner to approve or deny at their discretion.

What do I do if there has been accidental damage caused to the property?

If you have accidentally damaged the property, it must be reported to our office as soon as possible. Please ensure it is reported in writing with accompanying photographs of the damage. We will contact the owner for their instructions however, it will likely be your responsibility to repair. We would be more than happy to assist you by providing contact details for required tradespeople.

Can I make changes to the property?

Any changes you wish to make, temporary or permanent, must be approved by the landlord first. For example, you might wish to erect a shade sail over the pool. You would need to provide an idea on how you are going to install it plus colours and styles so they can make an informed decision. Altering the property without permission can result in you being issued a Notice to Remedy Breach – Form 11 and having it removed and any damage repaired.

Can I hang pictures on the walls?

In more cases than not, the landlord will approve picture hooks. However, it is their decision as to whether they will allow this or not and so it is important to ask first. You will need to apply in writing by advising of how many hooks, where they will be installed and what style hook will be used so the owner can make an informed decision.

Do I have to be home for an inspection?

No, you don’t have to be home for an inspection. Your property manager will bring a set of keys for the property and leave a note on your bench to let you know we have been through. If you have any concerns you would like to discuss, you can make an appointment to see your property manager at another time. However, you are more than welcome to be present for the inspection to show us through. If you won’t be home, it is important that all dogs are secured or restrained for the inspection to be completed.

Are smoke alarms important?

Smoke alarms are extremely important and should not be removed or damaged in any way. If you notice any issues with your smoke alarm (beeping constantly, not sounding when you think it should etc) please contact your property manager as soon as possible to report the fault.

Can I have a portable pool?

Anything that can hold a depth of 300mm of deeper must be fenced and compliant with state pool fencing laws. Unfortunately, most blow up pools and spas will fall under this category and as a safety precaution are not permitted under any circumstance. Should you wish to install a pool, you would need to seek approval from the property owner prior to commencing any installation. Failing to abide by these rules will see a Notice to Remedy Breach – Form 11 issued.

What are my notice periods?

Notice periods can differ depending on the circumstance. Some of the most common notice periods are for ending a fixed term tenancy, ending a periodic tenancy and ending a tenancy when a property sells. You can check out all notice periods on the RTA website here:

When is my rent due and how do I pay?

Your rent is due on the same day each week. This means if you move in on a Wednesday, your rent must be cleared by Wednesday each week. It is important to remember to allow time for the money to clear between banks if you are making the payment electronically. We accept bank transfer, EFTPOS, Payment Gateway and payroll deduction. We are a cash free office.

Should I get insurance?

Contents insurance is a must. The property owner is responsible for insuring the house and permanent fixtures and fittings (i.e dishwasher, curtains, carpet etc) however, this does not cover any of your personal belongings. For example, if the property was broken into and your belongings stolen you would need to have contents insurance to cover the loss. The same applies for natural disasters, replacement of locks, flood damage etc.